Current Affairs 2017 June Part 1
Every Wednesday (pronounced Wenzday not Wed-nes-day) Makimus.com team gives you the Weekly Current Affairs 2017 Material for preparation of all competitive examination including UPSC IAS, State PCS, MBA, NDA, SSC, IBPS, Banks, Railways. These National and International Current Affairs 2017 Notes are must read and one must not miss them. So read, understand, learn and Clear the Examination with ease.
Other Weekly Complete Current Affairs 2017 July PDF Free Download
- Current Affairs 2017 July Part-1 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 July Part-2 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 July Part-3 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 July Part-4 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 July Part-5 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 August Part-1 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 August Part-2 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 August Part-3 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 August Part-4 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 September Part-1 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 September Part-2 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 September Part-3 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 September Part-4 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 October Part-1 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 October Part-2 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 October Part-3 and 4 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 October Part-5 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 November Part-1 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
- Current Affairs 2017 November Part-2 PDF Free Download Here - Download Free PDF
Disclaimer Note: These Current Affairs 2017 are presented to you in a unique anchored format. Anchored Current Affairs are linked to one another and sometimes open up one layer after the other, if necessary sometimes one news may open or branch out in dozens of other related important points until we reach the bottom of the pyramid.
Also, this current affairs material also might have little random sprinkles to prepare you as a well educated Officer (take Wednesday pronunciation example in second line of the blog) and to help you in answer writing skills. So read the entire material completely. Don't Skip.
The Current Affairs are prepared for Indian Students, Job Aspirants, Teachers or any one interested. Thus, focus on Indian Government and happenings in India are given the top most priority. (Do you know the meaning of "sine qua non"? - An essential condition; a thing that is absolutely necessary. Usage - Gandhi's leadership was the sine qua non of India's independence on 15th Aug 1947. Grasp on current affairs is the sine qua non of success in UPSC Prelims Examination.)
Also the notes are made keeping in mind the kind of questions asked in India's most prestigious and much hyped Civil Services Examination by Union Public Service Commission. So do not expect stuff like "Tallest Building of the World - Burj Khalifa". Only conceptually Important points are listed here. For simple GK one must buy a Rs.25 General Knowledge Book and mug it up. If more needed, mug the entire Lucent. We warn you - Quantity never matter, its all about Quality!
Current Affairs 2017 June Part 1:
- On 15 May 2017, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare-Government of India (MoHFW) reported three laboratory-confirmed cases of Zika virus disease in Bapunagar area, Ahmedabad District, Gujarat, State, India. Cases were further confirmed by World Health Organisation (specialised agency of UN) - Head Quarter- Geneva, Switzerland. (Why many organisations are headquartered in Switzerland? - Because . its a neutral country, the mountains around the borders provide security from invasion/attack, internally peaceful, well developed and prosperous - availability of high standard facilities, Soft reason - scenic and beautiful.)
Zika - caused by the bite of Aedus mosquito (acts as a vector).
The bite also causes Dengue (all 4 types DENV 1 to DENV 4; pronounced as Dengee not dengoo) and Chikungunya.
Zika Virus name comes from Zika Forest of Uganda where the virus was first found in 1947.
Zika Virus can cause - Neurological Complications, Guillain Barre Syndrome (in French Polynesia), temporary paralysis in adults, Microcephaly - small brain size of infants(in S. America).
Treatment- No effective Vaccine, cured by drinking lots of water and taking bed rest
- World Bank (Head Quarter- Washington DC, USA; Bretton Woods Institutions - IMF+WB as they were established after Bretton Woods Conference 1944) has put India's economic growth rate at 7.2%.- India is the fastest growing economy in the world.
GST will help achieve this: 1. Will reduce cost of doing business 2. Reduce logistics cost across states 3. Ensure no loss in equity
Also favourable monsoon has lifted the economy; Though the private investment still lagging - corporate debt overhang and high level of NPAs
Important Must Read Hand Written Notes on Non Performing Assets (NPAs) :
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) - proposed tightening of rules on Participatory Notes( P-Notes) and similarly for Offshore Derivative Instruments(ODIs)
Proposed prohibition of ODIs from being issued against derivations for speculation purpose.
Step to curb the misuse of P- Notes (money laundering "et cetera" - full form of etc. )
Important Exclusive Hand Written Material about Participatory Notes - Must Read:
- Cyclone Mora hit Bangladesh (when wind reaches speed of more than 74 miles per hour it is said to be Cyclone in Indian Ocean, Typhoon in Pacific Ocean and Hurricane in Atlantic Ocean.)
Worst hit was the Cox's Bazaar Area which houses Rohingya Refugees (refugees from Myanmar).
Naming of Indian Ocean Cyclones - 8 countries propose one name each in following alphabetical order : Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand (Nepal is not included as has no coastline and does not get directly affected by cyclones)
- Vanishing Kashmir Stag may get a breeding Centre in Tral District of Kashmir
Kashmir Red Stag is also known as Hangul- has 11 to 16 point antlers. Is only Confined to Dachigam Reserves
IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature, Head Quarter- Gland , Switzerland not a UN agency - has observer and consultative status) in its Red Data List (both plants and animals are included) has declared Hangul to be Critically Endangered.
Species are classified by the IUCN Red List into nine groups, set through criteria such as rate of decline, population size, area of geographic distribution, and degree of population and distribution fragmentation.
Extinct (EX) – No known individuals remaining.
Extinct in the wild (EW) – Known only to survive in captivity, or as a naturalized population outside its historic range.
Critically endangered (CR) – Extremely high risk of extinction in the wild.
Endangered (EN) – High risk of extinction in the wild.
Vulnerable (VU) – High risk of endangerment in the wild.
Near threatened (NT) – Likely to become endangered in the near future.
Least concern (LC) – Lowest risk. Does not qualify for a more at-risk category. Widespread and abundant taxa are included in this category.
Data deficient (DD) – Not enough data to make an assessment of its risk of extinction.
Not evaluated (NE) – Has not yet been evaluated against the criteria.
When discussing the IUCN Red List, the official term "threatened" is a grouping of three categories: Critically Endangered, Endangered, and Vulnerable.
To counter One Belt One Road (which India is not part of but all other neighbours now are) Initiative of China, India and Japan (Japan is also not a part of OBOR) have proposed Asia Africa Sea Corridor (also being called Asia Africa Growth Corridor)
Will connect Africa India Japan and Oceania.
Further details will pop-up when Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi meets his Japan counterpart Shinzo Abe on the sidelines of G20 (members of the G20 are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union) meet in hamburg, Germany in July 2017.
- First ever integrated water transport metro operation will start in Kochi soon. Being called as Water Metro. It will undergo commercial Operations.
Related term: Ro/Ro (Roll on Roll Off ) - A service where trucks and cars ride piggy-back on specially designed wagons. Konkan Railways were the first to start RORO train services in India. In 2017 started functioning in other states like UP and Delhi to de-congest roads.
Mangalore Port is the first major port in India to start RORO service in October 2015.
- SEBI has formulated Commodity Derivatives Awareness Scheme - Eligible Entities interested in conducting commodities awareness programmes can approach SEBI for recognition and they can impart education in the field of commodity derivatives (futures contracts, hedging and risks.)
- New Strategic Partnership (SP) policy as a part of Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) approved by the Defence Acquisition Committee (DAC).
Will reduce the current dependence on imports and ensure greater self- reliance.
Will reduce dependability ofsupplies essential to meet National Security Objectives.
Atal Tinkering Laboratories under Atal Innovation Mission - Open innovation workspaces in high schools to ignite entrepreneurship from below in India. This will allow new innovative startups to appear in India like Makimus.com, ya Makimus.com where you are reading these current affairs is also a startup. Shop now! (oops sorry, first complete this current affairs material - then shop)
To read more detailed info about Tinkering Labs, Click here
- A huge setback to Global Climate Concerns - President of the US, Donald Trump pulls out of the Paris Climate Accord of 2015. Countries who have refused to be a member now are: Syria, US, Nicaragua.
UN says temperature add-on will be 0.3 degree Celsius as the consequence.
- India and Pakistan got their full membership of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
SCO is a Political, Economic (there is a difference between economical and economic; use with caution) and Military Grouping. Head Quartered at Beijing, China. Member countries - Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan(mind the 'z'), China, India and Pakistan.
Pic Credit : Stratfor Worldview
India and Pakistan are now part of Regional Anti-Terrorism Structure (RATS) HQ at Tashkent, Capital of Uzbekistan.
Will help in countering Terrorism,Extremism, Separatism, Promote connectivity, trade and regional economic (or economical? It will be economic) integration.
- Gulf States cut all diplomatic ties with Qatar siting its hands in proliferation of sectarian notions and nurturing terror groups and ideas. Though Qatar is still a part of Gulf Cooperation Council.
Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) has 6 member states : Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates with official language Arabic. Headquarter at Riyadh (Riyadh is also the capital city of Saudi Arabia), Saudi Arabia (Vatican City, Brunei, Swaziland, Saudi Arabia and Oman are the only countries with absolute monarchy in the world as of 2017).
As people from Qatar are being cut off from their jobs in other Gulf states, Indian expatriates will have a better chance of job in these gulf countries.
- GSLV Mk III successfully launched by ISRO into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit
#### A geosynchronous transfer orbit or geostationary transfer orbit (GTO) is a Hohmann transfer orbit used to reach geosynchronous or geostationary orbit using high thrust chemical engines.####
In orbital mechanics, the Hohmann transfer orbit /ˈhoʊ.mʌn/ is an elliptical orbit used to transfer between two circular orbits of different radii in the same plane.
Types of Orbits:
Low Earth orbit (LEO): geocentric orbits with altitudes from 160 to 2,000 km (100–1,240 miles).
Medium Earth orbit (MEO): geocentric orbits ranging in altitude from 2,000 km (1,240 miles) to just below geosynchronous orbit at 35,786 kilometers (22,236 mi). Also known as an intermediate circular orbit. These are "most commonly at 20,200 kilometers (12,600 mi), or 20,650 kilometers (12,830 mi), with an orbital period of 12 hours."
Both geosynchronous orbit (GSO) and geostationary orbit (GEO) are orbits around Earth matching Earth's sidereal rotation period. All geosynchronous and geostationary orbits have a semi-major axis of 42,164 km (26,199 mi). All geostationary orbits are also geosynchronous, but not all geosynchronous orbits are geostationary. A geostationary orbit stays exactly above the equator, whereas a geosynchronous orbit may swing north and south to cover more of the Earth's surface. Both complete one full orbit of Earth per sidereal day (relative to the stars, not the Sun).
Returning (you never return back, you only "return", if you use "return back" that is Pleonasm - the use of more words than are necessary to convey meaning (e.g. see with one's eyes ), either as a fault of style or for emphasis.) to GSLV Mk-III : First Ever completely indigenous cryogenic engine named CE20 was used to provide thrust. Cryogenic Engine is a rocket engine that uses a cryogenic fuel or oxidizer, that is, its fuel or oxidizer (or both) are gases liquefied and stored at very low temperatures (Liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen at -90 Degree Celsius).
India is among the 6 countries to possess the technology for making cryogenic engines - China, France, India, Japan, Russia, US.
OECD Pact signed by India to prevent Base Erosion and Profit Shifting.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an intergovernmental economic organisation with 35 member countries, founded in 1960 to stimulate economic progress and world trade. Headquarter - Paris, France. India is not a member of OECD
Base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS) refers to tax avoidance strategies that exploit gaps and mismatches in tax rules to artificially shift profits to low or no-tax locations.
Important Latest News June 2017 Part 1:
- Real Madrid defeated Juventus (pronounced Huventus) and won Champions League 2017 (Soccer). This was the first ever successful title defence in the tournament's history. For other sports news check our Friday blog.
- India slipped in Institute of Management Development's Competitiveness Annual Ranking 4 places. 41- 2016, 45- 2017. THough FDI has increased in service sector - 26% and Ease of Doing Business has Improved.
- Youngest and First Openly Gay Prime Minister of Ireland is Leo Varadkar
- E-cigarette market is on increase - also called Electronic Nicotine Delivery System. Smoking it is called vaping. It is a mixture of Nicotine, Propylene glycol, water, glycerine and flavour. (Nicotine is an anti-herbivore chemical, sometimes used as insecticide.)
- Under Suchitwa Mission of Kerala, Green Protocol has been issued for parties, family functions, marriage etc. Only biodegradable materials will be used in place of plastic plates, glasses, utensils.
- Anti-Dumping Duty is issued on Toluene di-isocynate imported mainly from China, Japan and Korea. Used in furniture cushions and automobile seats.
Anti-Dumping Duty: An anti-dumping duty is a protectionist tariff that a domestic government imposes on foreign imports that it believes are priced below fair market value. Dumping is a process where a company exports a product at a price lower than the price it normally charges on its own home market. To protect local businesses and markets, many countries impose stiff duties on products they believe are being dumped in their national market.
- Washing metallurgical coal in pit-head improves the quality of dry fuel. And Government has made it mandatory for bidders after successful coal bidding.
- This Year's Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Ranking has been issued. Only IIT-D (172), IISc- Bengaluru (190) and IIT-B (179) are among top 200. University of Delhi in top 500.
- Oldest Homo Sapiens fossils found at Moroccan Hillside - Jebel Irhoud, pushing Homo sapiens existence further 100000 years to 300000 years. Flint tools knapped by the levallois technique were also found.
The Levallois technique is a name given by archaeologists to a distinctive type of stone knapping developed by precursors to modern humans during the Palaeolithic period.
It is named after nineteenth-century finds of flint tools in the Levallois-Perret suburb of Paris, France.
- Actor Soumitra Chaterjee was awarded Legion de Honour - Highest Civilian Award of France.
- Finland will have the world's first nuclear waste repository in early years of next decade.
- Sindhudurg Cetacean Project is a part of Govt of India and UN Development Programme that assess biodiversity of marine mammals - Have found 36 whales wash up on west Indian Coast. Environmentalists call it a worrisome situation.
- Personality in news - Ramachandra Guha - Author of "India After Gandhi". #### Use India After Gandhi for select topics if your Civil Services Optional subject is History else use Bipan Chandra's India Since Independence (yellow colour wali book not the blue one; use blue one for freedom struggle - very very important book). ####
- Do you know - Lancet is an esteemed medical journal.
- Important articles of the Indian Constitution in news: Article 47 and Article 48 : Deals with Directive Principles of State Policy related to animal rights and protection. #### Read the Articles and decide pragmatically if cow slaughter ban is right or wrong, will help in essay writing.
Quick Tip : Never write anything completely against the incumbent government decision or policy, be pragmatic, do productive criticism in Essay or Answer Writing.
For this week that's all! Need Current Affairs 2017 in PDF Version? Comment, and we will give you a direct link to download absolutely free!
Do not miss to check Sports news on Friday!
Don't forget to share among friends and family.
Also as thanksgiving shop exclusive designer products from Makimus.com. Wallpapers,Writing pads, Laptop Skins, Notebooks, Notepads, Canvas Paintings, Posters and more to come.
Also stay tuned, as blog readers can get exclusive discount coupon codes from Makimus.com!
Till then, keep working hard. And good luck if going to attempt this year's Examinations.
Have fun folks!